The easiest way to renovate your house is by changing the color of your walls and ceilings and provide with a fresh and beautiful look. However, choosing the new colors, collecting materials, preparing the house for the project and actually paint the entire house is not that easy.
If you wish to save yourself some money and you are looking to enjoy an adventure, you can learn some basic painting techniques and you can accomplish the project yourself. Panting is all about choosing the right combination of colors, using the appropriate tools and making use of the right technique for the right place. There is a wide range of options available, from an infinite array of colors to hundreds of tools, when it comes to interior and exterior painting. All it takes is a little research and some practice to master home painting techniques.
- Before starting to paint the interiors you should decide upon the color scheme and effect you wish to create in your house and you can afford to select different color schemes for different rooms. The living room, bedroom, kitchen and kid's room need not be in a similar color scheme. Choose a color scheme that suits the mood of the room, and the taste and lifestyle of the person living in the room.
- Once you have decided on the color scheme to be used it is time to ponder over the wall painting technique to be used. You need to decide whether only a flat coat will do or only if you are looking to paint over the wallpaper. The technique to be used also depends upon the condition of your wall and the preparation a particular technique calls for.
- You can order for samples of the color scheme you selected and test it before placing the final order. Trying out samples will help you experience the effect each color will create.
- Order for the amount of paint required to paint the entire room and also other painting equipment, once you are satisfied with the color of your choice. Drop-cloths, small brushes, masking tapes, roller, primer, etc. are some other supplies you might have to order. You might also have to purchase supplies for any surface preparation if needed.
- There is ideally a procedure to be followed while painting a room. You need to start painting the ceiling trim followed by the ceiling then the wall trim, walls and finally all the woodwork in the room. It is advisable to cover the windows and other exposed surfaces in the room with the help of a newspaper and masking tape, in case you are painting using a sprayer.
- However, if you are planning to paint using a roller, you need to start painting the strip around six inches across the perimeter of the ceiling and around any of the ceiling fixtures with a paint brush. This will help you to not stain these areas with the roller. In case you are using a flat or satin paint you might not need a roller, however, if you are planning to come up with a more glossy finish then you must roll out the area after each coat of paint.
- Remember not to load the roller with excess paint, since it will cause dripping and may also make the roller harder to manipulate. You need to execute smooth even strokes with the roller in the same direction in order to get a fine finish. You can make use of a clean dry cloth to wipe out any dripping marks caused by the roller.
- Once the ceiling is finely coated, you can move on to the walls by working on the wall trims first. You can use the same procedure of working with a brush and then creating a smooth finish with the help of a roller. You can then move to work on the woodwork if any. It is advisable to make use of flat wall paint like primer for the woodwork before using paint. Work with a paint brush to avoid the formation of uneven paint texture.
- You can also use a sprayer to spray primer over the woodwork. Remember to move the brush in the direction of the wood grain. This will ensure that the paint looks even.
- It is advisable to invest in different sizes of paint brushes instead of using the same brush for all areas. Do not attempt to jam the bristles into places the brush cannot reach. Make use of smaller brushes for such places in order to ensure that work is neat and even.
- Dark color shades should be used to highlight details of a room. Dark color shades however require more maintenance and they also tend to fade sooner than light color shades.
- It is advisable to make use of light color tones for the ceiling. Light colors will keep the room cool by reflecting heat; which will again make the room look spacious and peaceful.